Skip to main content

Why Dems should no longer be 'Biden' their time

One of the problems with American politics is that by the time we arrive at the little 19th century canvas-tent-booth at the local high school gym, we are left with two choices. Sure, we could opt for that weird unknown candidate who promises not only free healthcare and tuition but breakfast with billionaires on alternate Saturdays. Most of us are sensible enough to vote for one of the two final choices, sometimes a third if an Independent such as Ross Perot has made a significant splash.
What's eating me right now is we are pushing up to an election that is likely going to be the lesser of two evils. If Trump gets impeached, that could be interesting, and we would be left with Biden vs. Pence, another uncomfortable mental jump in my opinion. So let me spell out why Democrats must put their time and energy into promoting the right candidate right now:
1. Joe Biden has not said anything very interesting. Every time he leans on his "pal Barack" I squirm. I imagine President Obama rolling his eyes from his easy chair in Georgetown, muttering something to Michelle about how he could have had a VP who didn't sniff women.
2. Which leads me to Point #2, he has sniffed women. He has butterfly kissed women. If this is not a big deal to you, imagine someone sniffing you at random at the next important public meeting you attend, or a fundraiser you are helping with. Imagine especially someone in power grabbing you, slowly kissing the back of your head and inhaling your scent while you Just Take It. I would especially like to give the men out there a minute to imagine this. Most cannot because the idea of rape is so foreign to them that they don't instinctively squirm the minute a man invades their space.
3. Biden IS too old. For that matter, so are Sanders and Trump, yet in the latter case age is the least of his ills. If you don't think age matters, consider this - after 50, one enjoys an increasing daisy chain of tests and problems she had previously not even heard about. I remember at age 39 I was flown out to Atlanta to write about a gastroenterologists' convention. I had to look up the meaning of the term. Now my GI is in my Contacts list.
I have liberal friends who will probably stop calling me if they think I won't vote for Biden if he is indeed the final one standing. So be it. I don't tell people who I vote for and now will be the same. I urge Dems to use their imagination and reading skills and read up on some truly beautiful candidates - Beto, Pete, Elizabeth, Amy ... I am using their first names because each of them has made a connection with voters. Each of them has a platform we should investigate and care about - from gun control to immigration reform to climate change to rolling back college debt. The list goes on. A binary choice may be our only choice, but let's use these precious months leading up to the primary to make a sensible choice.
Photo credits: Amy Klobuchar, By United States Senate - http://klobuchar.senate.gov/mediacenter.cfm, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1866289, and Beto O'Rourke,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Beto_O%27Rourke%2C_Official_portrait%2C_113th_Congress.jpg/2048px-Beto_O%27Rourke%2C_Official_portrait%2C_113th_Congress.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging white males need no longer apply

Watching the second of the presidential debates the other night, I winced when I watched Biden speak, react, squirm, half-raise his pointer finger. He does not look well. It is not just his age; he looks frail. I thought he was older than Bernie, but the latter is more than a year older. Everyone knew that beside Mayor Pete, Biden would look about a hundred; but what no one had reckoned was how that young whippersnapper Kamala Harris would eclipse the vice-president like a bull at a meat parade. She took her bites laced in pink, but with a venom that stung into the morning and will resonate for years to come. Biden not only looked weak, but out-of-touch, old in the way my late mother (who died at 79) never did. His ideas were old, his approach was arrogant, and his self-importance wreaked. Bernie was better, and his youthful following will always love him. I am impressed by his vigor and vim, and like him more this time round than I did last time. But that may be because compared to

Misogyny and politics: the long and winding road

As I write this, Joe Biden has over 400 delegates, Bernie Sanders over 300. Trump has called Elizabeth Warren "selfish" for vowing to fight on. Rumors of her impending departure from the race are swirling. Her delegate numbers are basically tied with Mayor Pete's , and he's not even in the race any more. Amy Klobuchar has already dropped out. Fellow senator Kamala Harris dropped out long ago. Meanwhile, three old white men fought on, with Bloomberg just dropping out today, several million (or is it billion?) poorer for jumping into the race. I'm a little nauseated as I write this. Our country is 245 years old. We've only had male presidents. Barack Obama was the one exception to only White male presidents, and then of course the nation was so alarmed it reverted to the blueprint. Misogyny is so pervasive in American culture that even many women would rather have a female president in office. Interestingly, in the 2016 presidential election, an overwhelming

The 2020 Presidential Race: Three Men and a Baby

I knew this time would come, when I could no longer keep my mouth shut and when I no longer wanted to let other voices in. But I had no idea that so many in my peer group would be just fine with the choices who remain in the Presidential race. I am a huge Amy Klobuchar fan, but that does not seem to matter when it comes to most Americans' perception of who a president should be. Biden , Bernie and Bloomberg. And then there is little baby Buttigieg. Friends on Facebook are saying things like, "It will either be Bernie or Bernie vs. Bloomberg " in the way I say that the sun will come out tomorrow. Others moan, "I hate to say it but people will re-elect the criminal-in-chief" as if it's a fait accompli. I can find something to like in all of these men: Biden - Loved his early position on gay marriage and how he influenced Obama to change the law. Exceptional. Bernie - As someone who's enjoyed the National Health Service in England (while studying there)